Pages

Monday, October 9, 2017

Meet Veronica R. Tabares, Author

Veronica R. Tabares, MFA, MLIS, is a passionate award-winning author on a mission to make a positive impact in people's lives through the power of storytelling. Nine books later and she is still fueled by the initial creative spark that started it all. Writing and her love of archaeology aside, Veronica enjoys nothing more than spending quality time with her loved ones who inspire her to be her best version daily.

Learn more about Veronica and her work by visiting http://veronicatabares.com/.

1. What first drew you to creative writing?

I was one of those kids that read every book in the house, including encyclopedias, then branched out to magazines, newspapers, and even cereal boxes. If it had words, I read it. I'm pretty sure writing is the natural progression. And I'm drawn to creative writing because, hey, I like being in control.

2. As someone who writes in different genres and for different age groups, when you get an idea for something to write, how do you decide what form the project will take?

There's always a constant swarm of pesky ideas flying around my head. Sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say great ideas, not pesky. What could be pesky about an idea?

Anyway, I usually swat the annoying ones away, but the good ones I snatch out of the air and stick in my pocket. Funny thing is, they come with labels! I've never had to struggle over genre or age group, all I've ever had to do is read the tag. You know, "great for tweens" or "sci-fi I"d like to read." That kind of thing.

3. What are some of the key differences between writing for kids and writing for adults?

I find writing for kids much trickier. The author needs to entertain the kids, as well as please their parents, their teachers, their grandparents, etc.

4. What do you like best about being a writer?

The adrenaline! A good day of writing energizes me more than any exercise routine ever invented. Of course, it doesn't do a thing to strengthen my muscles

5. Do you have any projects you're currently working on that you'd like to tell us about?

Sure! I have a pocketful of potential projects, but the three I'm actively working on are:

a) An adventure set in Belize that involves a honeymooning couple, a crooked cop, and a ghost.

b) Two sisters must retrieve a piece of jewelry one of them lost on an amusement park ride before it triggers a robot apocalypse.

c) A boy accidentally travels to another universe through his dreams, while his twin sister is left at home with no clue what happened to him. This story for kids is set in the late 1920s and is related to the Behold the Eye trilogy.

It's been a pleasure chatting with you, and happy reading!

Thanks, Veronica!

No comments:

Post a Comment